Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Lunch with My Teenager

Back when our older kids were gradeschoolers, also known as the time when I knew everything there was to know about parenting, I remember thinking that I had full confidence I wasn't going to have the typical experience with MY teenagers. We would still talk, my teens would still be willing to be seen in public with me, and our tastes would not be diametrically opposed, a la Jeremy and his parents in the Zits comic.

Whatever my plans were, I do not think my experience is typical. My kids do talk to me, they even listen to me ... sometimes.

So today, I invited Valerie to go to lunch with me. For no reason, other than just to spend some time with her. The last time we did this was, like, never. Probably at least two years ago, and maybe much longer.

Greg reminded me of the concept of "carefree timelessness." This is time you spend with someone just for the heck of it, and it is extremely nourishing to a relationship. I could feel today just how rarely I do this with anyone. So busy doing, I often forget just to be.

I love it when I am reminded of the value of something so simple, yet so easy to overlook.

Who can you practice carefree timelessness with today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, do you want to get together and do something fun this week?? Maybe we could play cards or do a puzzle or go treasure hunting!

xoxxo
mjm