Saturday, August 30, 2008

One Week of Homeschooling Down - 35 to Go

So, we just finished up week one yesterday and I would have to say it gets a big thumbs up. I had two extra long days with my two at-home-full-time kiddos and both days were fun, enjoyable for all of us, and stress-free. Even having Kepler toddling around was pretty easy to handle.

Seems like the difficulties last year helped me figure out what might work better this year, in terms of curriculum and scheduling. And the fact that I don't have to drive to football, soccer, and/or basketball practice at all is making things pretty nice at home.

I was reminded of Stephen Covey's concept of putting the "big rocks" into the schedule first and then fitting other things in as they fit. Defining what the "big rocks" are this year has gone a long way this first week to making sure they actually get covered.

Now that I have gotten a taste of being able to focus on the big stuff, I will jealously guard my schedule from fluff and important things that want to crowd out the most important stuff. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Stephanie M said...

Hi - you probably don't remember me? I am your sad little friend who hasn't visited your blog for way too long because life was so busy. Please forgive me - I have just spent a good 10 minutes catching up. So happy to hear you had a good week with schooling, and so sorry to hear about your laundry chute not being user friendly and your ipod humidity!!!

Unknown said...

I think I remember you, but it sure has been quiet around here without my bestest commenter ever. Welcome back and don't be a stranger!