Friday, April 19, 2013

Q is for Questions

When my dad starting affectionately calling me "The County Persecutor" sometime in junior high school, I got the feeling he thought I asked too many questions. Well, what can I say? I had a lot of questions, and I still do. As a matter of fact, I love questions.


The difference from then to now is that I used to be looking for the answer. Now, questions are the catalyst to creative thinking about challenges that are facing me.

Questions that are looking for the answer, and are thus focused on the problem and the past, usually begin with Why, When, Who, and How. (Why did I eat that much at dinner?? Who's brilliant idea was it to leave this undone?) Questions that are looking for A SOLUTION, and thus are focused on A SOLUTION and THE FUTURE, usually begin with the wonderful word, WHAT. (What do I want? What can I do to make this situation better?)

A little book by John G. Miller, QBQ! The Question Behind the Question, discusses this idea in the context of personal accountability, and suggests Making better choices in the moment by asking better questions. He suggests that each question we ask contain an "I" because asking What can I do is a very different question than Who got us into this mess

What is your attitude toward having unanswered questions in your life? What do you want from your day today? 

    E  F  G  H   I  J      N   O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z







6 comments:

Anne Mackle said...

I'm too tired today to ask myself any questions but it was a very thoughtful post.
The signiture on your comments doesn't lead to your blog it says it doesn't exist I had to google your blog name.Just thought I'd let you know.

Anonymous said...

A book that's been a great conversation starter with friends, or a great road trip book, or even just something to think about, is "If...Questions for the Soul." http://www.amazon.com/If-Questions-Soul-Evelyn-McFarlane/dp/0679456368

There are actually a bunch of variations, but that one is my favorite (although even still some of the questions are a little kooky) but it's great for icebreakers, long talks even with a friend you've known for ages, or just things to ponder personally :-)

Unknown said...

Unanswered questions usually lead me to wonderful creative places and today my question centered on how do I get more of me in my writing. I took it and ran with it

Ida Thought said...

Dear Susan I have enjoyed your blog so much so I have nominated you for a Leibster award check out my R for Receive post for all the details.. you don't have to accept it but you meet the criteria and I want more people to find you :)

sherilee said...

I like questions, even unanswerable ones. Not every question has an answer, at least not in that moment. I think living IN the questions helps us move toward answers, or, maybe more accurately, move within the questions toward living life filled with growth, hope and love.

Great post!

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

Questions are good.