Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Bagger Who Panicked


When I grocery shop, you can imagine I buy a lot at once. Either that or the three items I need to get through the next 45 minutes. Today was a big shop. I went to Costco and then to Kroger. At Kroger, I was buying to restock some very empty shelves at home, plus picking up stuff for the church's food pantry.

So, the bagger was busily bagging the groceries and it occurred to him that they might not all fit in one cart. Drat, he said, that means I will have to go outside again. Well, my helper and I are strong women so I said, no prob, we'll handle the carts. I can't imagine what he thought I said, because he suddenly decided every. single. thing. was going to go into ONE cart. He bagged wildly and kept stacking things higher and higher and higher. I eyeballed the cart wondering how many hands it would take me to keep everything on for the ride.

I think he decided that the MORE items he put IN a bag, the BETTER they would FIT in the cart. This was evidenced by his choice to put FOUR jars of applesauce in one bag. Really big jars.

Actually, I guess I have to hand it to him. He must know his stuff. Nothing fell off. I only needed one hand to keep something on and the applesauce didn't break through the bag(s).

Now, the checker on the other hand -- our store has the "if it rings up wrong price, you get it free." Some checkers just automatically ring it up as free when it rings wrong. There are a few checkers though who still try to charge me the lower price. Today's item rang up at $4.49 but should have been $2.49 as it was on the markdown shelf. I wouldn't even have bought it for $4.49! So it rings up wrong, and I say, no that's not the right price. Oh, she says, sometimes those tags don't ring up right. Here, I'll just put it in as $2.49. Actually, I said, that should be free. She rolled her eyes and entered the scan right code.

You know what? I didn't make up the policy. But I'm ok with asking for it to be enforced. So, my helper, my giant cart, and my free box of organic chocolate coins rolled on home and wow do we have a yummy looking bunch of food here.

2 comments:

Stephanie M said...

Way to go!!! I love free stuff.

Unknown said...

me too that's why I love your blog! or at least one of the many reasons. :-)