Friday, September 12, 2008

Three Weeks Down -- 33 to Go


Or, Sleep-Teaching -- I Recommend It.

So, we've completed another week of homeschooling here at Siouxsie's house. Things were not QUITE as smooth this week. People had questions about why they have to learn grammar if they are going to be professional skateboarders. "To raise the perception of the intellectual level of the sport" growled Daddy in response. People cried when they had to figure out how many pounds and ounces the zucchini in the picture weighed. They cried even harder when I suggested they figure out the difference in their birth weight (11 lb 7 oz) and their little brother's birth weight (8 lb 12 oz), even when I made a mistake and said "their" birth weight was 11 lb 12 oz). We had people telling me they can't do the program I selected for their language class this year. We had people making humorous videos of homeschooling with lots of photos of their own face making bored looks and emitting huge sighs. And we had small people unloading every shelf/box/container they could get their little two-year-old hands on. And then there were the people who felt very poorly treated for having a long day of school in spite of the fact that there are days when we do almost no school -- they just didn't see that it isn't possible to have an exact 5-hour day every day. And they didn't like that.

Ah, but we read some great stuff and really did make some progress. And my students made some awesome connections -- one of them listened to me read about being optimistic and later commented during a read-aloud that a particular character was very optimistic. I love stuff like that. I'm reminded of how much I like the curriculum I am using this week. I'm reminded of how much I love teaching my own children and what a privilege it is to do this. And how great are kids who will continue on with their work when their tired mother just HAS to have a nap right now? Pretty great, I'd say.

Ever onward, always improving. Looking forward to next week.

1 comment:

Stephanie M said...

super inspiring siouxsie!!! thanks for sharing your home school happenings in such a witty, wonderful (and optimistic) way!