Wednesday, March 14, 2012

National Pi Day


That was today, in case you missed it. With the advent of Facebook as a ubiquitous presence in our lives, I have become more aware of these government-designated days. People wished me Happy National Pi Day today.

Did you know that the Congress of the US of A made this an official National Day in 2009? This designation was an attempt to draw attention to improving math and science education. So let me ask you. Were you more aware of improving math and science education today? Do you see a logical connection between designating national days and increasing awareness?

And then there are foods that have a national day, at least one per day all year long. And diseases get entire months. I wonder what it means to raise awareness. March is National Kidney Month, National ColoRectal Cancer Awareness Month, and National AutoImmune Diseases awareness Month. Did you know that?

I wonder if this is an attempt to draw attention to something by pointing it out among the thousands of things vying for our attention every day.

I think Pi is seriously cool. I love numbers, and especially patterns in numbers. But for me, it's too general to ask me to focus on the importance of math and science education. What does that mean for me? What does it mean for you? I work much better with more personal information.

If it were me, I would make it National Pi(e) Day and link something yummy (pie!) with something academic, and I would define what it is we are wanting in regard to math and science education.

Our good intentions. How they tantalize us.

No comments: