Saturday, April 11, 2015

J is for Junuh

I've been a fan of Steven Pressfield (The War of Art) for quite awhile, but only recently learned that he had based his book The Legend of Bagger Vance on the Hindu text The Bhagavad Vita. When I originally saw the movie, I interpreted Bagger's character to be representative of the Holy Spirit.  However you interpret the character, he's full of wisdom and I love this scene where Junuh accepts his fear and uncertainty about how to move past the horrors he experienced in the war. 

Each of us carries around burdens, no matter how charmed our life has been. This clip from the film is a powerful representation of what happens when we accept that we each are here for a unique purpose and we step into that purpose. Now is the time.




Bagger Vance: What I'm talkin about is a game... A game that can't be won only played... 
Rannulph Junuh: You don't understand... 
Bagger Vance: I don't need to understand... Ain't a soul on this entire earth ain't got a burden to carry he don't understand, you ain't alone in that... But you been carryin' this one long enough... Time to go on... lay it down... 
Rannulph Junuh: I don't know how... 
Bagger Vance: You got a choice... You can stop... Or you can start... 
Rannulph Junuh: Start? 
Bagger Vance: Walkin... 
Rannulph Junuh: Where? 
Bagger Vance: Right back to wehre you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... 
Rannulph Junuh: It's too long ago... 
Bagger Vance: Oh no sir it was just a moment ago... Time for you to come on out the shadows Junuh... Time for you to choose... 
Rannulph Junuh: I can't... 
Bagger Vance: Yes you can... but you ain't alone... I"m right here with ya... I've been here all along... Now play the game... Your game... The one that only you was meant to play... Then one that was given to you when you come into this world... You ready?... Stike that ball Junuh don't hold nothin back give it everything... Now's the time... Let yourself remember... Remember YOUR swing... That's right Junuh, settle yourself... Let's go... Now is the time, Junuh... 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your comment that we are each here for a purpose and you invite us to step into that purpose. Yeah!
In my mind, God is the creator, the plenum and the originator of each of us. It is He who casts us with unbelievable potential, else where would it come from? I pray that every day of my remaining life I will be enabled to do just what you suggested.
Great post, you are awesome.
MLM