Friday, February 27, 2015

Taking the Long Way

image from boardofwisdom.com
Twice in the past week, I have spent a significant amount of time solving a problem, only to discover upon solving that there was also an easier, more efficient way that would take no more than two minutes. And yet, I didn't come to the easy solution until I'd worked through the laborious process of understanding the multi-step solution.

If that's not part of the human condition, I don't know what is.

Pretty much every younger person doesn't buy the solution offered by the older, more experienced person, preferring instead to make their own way. Toddlers for sure are all about "Me do it myself!"

The people who want to make their own way are the ones who are still joyfully diving into the art of living. Still believing they can make a difference. Still believing there is something new and interesting to come in the future. 

Those who have given up or ceased caring actually prefer the cliffs notes. They don't want to do the work, to try and maybe fail, to get up and move. They'd rather take the easiest route.

As nice as it would be sometimes to figure out the quick solution without all the course work from The School of Harrd Knox, there's little that compares with the satisfaction that comes from doing the work to create the solution.

I still believe. Do you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I read in your blogs it is like opening a vial of sweet perfume whose aroma delights my senses. I am always astounded by your wisdom, your variety, your unique point of view and most exciting, your writing just gets better every time. I love the way you come up with new subjects that are characteristically mundane and yet become deeply beckoning.
How nice as a reader to be celebrated vicariously for diving into life and caring about solving problems and living to the fullest. Applause, applause!