Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I Make a Hecque of a Pizza


One of the positives about being low on funds is that you have to be a little more creative in the kitchen. When it comes to pizza, my favorite pizza is LaRosa's. I can order online (oh, bliss), we can run and pick it up in less than 10 minutes, and it is dern good. Oh, but it probably contains, at the very least, high-fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils and a few other baddie cats, and, oh yeah, it takes a chunk out of the budget ($26-$38). My second choice when it comes to pizza is DiGiorno's frozen pizza. Pretty good, actually, but also contains the baddie cats. Third best is my own crust with jarred spaghetti sauce, and various toppings. Since I was trying hard to be frugal AND healthy tonight, I made a pizza that didn't have ANY baddie cats in it at all, and no prepared foods.

Organic whole wheat flour.
Yeast (with a little honey for an extra oomph)
A little oil, a little salt, a little more honey (grown locally)

The sauce consisted of some garlic, an onion, a can of tomato sauce, and some spices.

The topping was hand-grated low-moisture, part skim, mozzarella cheese.

It definitely took longer. It surely cost way less than our typical LaRosa's order. But the best part -- I knew there was absolutely nothing in this pizza that I had to feel guilty about (I don't get guilty about cheese).

The photo above is the ACTUAL pizza. (That's my thumb there!) I watched my carb hounds (aka my children) chewing and swallowing healthy, homemade pizza. Dinner's over and there's no guilt to be seen!

Now that's a nice ending to dinner.

No comments: