Friday, June 20, 2008

I'm on the Yearbook Committee.

Oh, wait. I AM the yearbook committee. See, last summer, I had this great idea that we should do a yearbook for the homeschool group we are a part of. My daughter and I were going to head it up and make it happen. Never mind that I already had a full, yea verily, overflowing plate. It was a new idea and I am always quite enthusiastic about new ideas! Yes! I can do it! It will fit in! Somehow!

So, we started sending out emails to students saying things like, "Join the yearbook committee! Students needed to do photography, layout, [and other really cool things]." Soon we had a LIST of people! People who said Yes! I can do it! I am interested! Week after week went by and we didn't get ANYwhere. Mostly, I suppose, I don't really know how to let it be up to the students.

Later in the year, when we hadn't gotten beyond sporadic emails, I finally admitted I couldn't make it happen. I gave the whole kit and caboodle to another student who really wanted to have a yearbook for her senior year. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to make it happen either.

Did I just say ok well we won't have a yearbook, just like every other year, and that will be ok. ?? Did I? No, I did not. I said, ok I can do it. But there weren't exclamation marks anymore, just lower case letter and very slow typing. yes. i can do it. i think.

So, today I am going to make this yearbook. {grits teeth} I am going to get this thing done. {grinds teeth and grimaces}.

My FINE husband yesterday reminded me that this is a good thing I am doing and that the kids will have this yearbook for years. So, I really did change my attitude. All the gritting and grimacing is just for effect for my readers. Oh, how I long for Microsoft Publisher, no doubt a totally outdated program, but boy could I use it. Right now I am trying to use Adobe CS InDesign. It doesn't work the way my brain works. So, I'm going to give it one more chance to shape up. If it doesn't come around, me and MS Word are going to finish the job.

Oh, by the way. Will you sign my yearbook? Or at least my yearbook post?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friends 4 ever!!
love mjm

Stephanie M said...

Dear Siouxsie,

I had a great time getting to know you better this year. Except that you totally wore my signature Bonnie Bell Midnight Blue Lilac Super Shiny Lipgloss. Stay cool and have a fun summer!

2cool2B4gotten, Stephanie

Unknown said...

Stephanie, It was really great to get to know you this year. I have totally forgiven you for the boyfriend-stealing incident and hope you stay the same always.
BFF, Siouxsie