Saturday, June 7, 2008

Taking Care of Oneself

Knowing that my fine group is going to be asking me on Wednesday how I have done with having some quiet time in the morning, I have gotten up three mornings in a row and done just that. One of the things I planned to do yesterday was to buy some math curriculum.
So, yesterday morning, I was getting ready to send $250 to someone I had never met in order to buy a math curriculum, and as I wrote the check, I got this little feeling inside that said I should think about this before I did it. So, in the name of taking care of myself, I emailed the lady and told her that I had some concerns about sending off $250 and just having to trust that she would send me the curriculum. Maybe you can't imagine how uncomfortable this might be -- what if she gets offended? What if she writes back a really testy email telling me off? What if it's the "wrong" thing to let her know of my concerns?

I got a quick email back from her, quite gracious and reassuring. The only change I made was to send a money order instead of a check. And I only did that because I knew it would simplify things on both ends -- she wouldn't have to wait for a check to clear, and I wouldn't have to wait for the material to be mailed.

For all my readers who are doing important things like closing high-dollar real-estate deals (is there anyone among my readers doing that?!?), this may seem like a really small thing, but for me, it was a huge step to feel an inclination to wait and check something out, and to DO it, even though it felt risky to me.

Yay, me! Try it! You'll like it!

No comments: